Soil health and regenerative agriculture. GREAT 15% discount code: GREAT-21-15
Time & Location
About the Event
Book with GREAT discound code for 15% off: GREAT-21-15
• Ever wanted to know what it is that makes plants grow strong and in drought?
• Want to know how to convert consolidated soil into friable top soil that doesn’t saturate?
• Like to know how to create the most beneficial environment for crops/stock on your farm?
On this course, lead by Niels Corfield, you will:
• Learn the whys and wherefores of regenerative agriculture and soil health on cropping and mixed farming operations
• Learn how to monitor soil/pasture on your farm.
• Be introduced to new ways of thinking about the "farming problem".
Runs for two sessions
Same day, same time, same meeting ID - one week apart.
Session 1: Presentations
- Regenerative agriculture- & soil health principles
Session 2: Workshop/Presentations
- Analysis of soils/pasture on your farm,
- Land under grass
All particpants given complementary access to a Soilmentor for use on the course, for: recording soils observations and sharing data with the tutor, for feedback and analysis on session 2. Discounts offered for ongoing use.
All sessions will be videoed and made available to you offline, for you to watch again, or to view if you miss the live session
All power point slides
Course handout and principles sheets
• Improving soil health / pasture health
• Improving drainage and water holding on your land
• Growing more and better forage/crops
• Reducing reliance on external inputs or contractor services
• Identifying opportunities for out-wintering & season extension
• Getting feedback on-farm: monitoring & data, on-farm trials
• Skills training on using Soilmentor and carrying-out basic tests
Regenerative Agriculture – The Broader Context
• The imperative
• 4 Ecosystem Processes
Empirical case for good soil management
• How different strategies affect soil structure
• Reducing grade-outs and crop failures
• Minimising moisture stress
Defining soil health
• How it's articulated and how to measure it
Soil Health Principles
• What they are & the processes that underpin them
• Empirical evidence of their application on farm
Evidencing soil health
• Aggregation, spade tests, visual soil inspection
Aggregation and crumb structure
• What creates it, and how to maximise
• Fostering nitrogen fixation for all crops
One Key Insight
• Microbes Matter
Who is this Training Suitable for?
• Farmers, arable growers & agronomists
• Graziers, herdsmen & shepherds
• Vets and veterinary trainees/students
• Farm & estate managers
• New entrants
• Ecologists & advisors
Tools & Technology
• Field Margin app - https://www.fieldmargin.com/
• Soilmentor app - https://soils.sectormentor.com/
Niels Corfield Biog
Niels Corfield has been working to deliver truly sustainable food and farming systems for more than 15 years. He is a researcher, adviser, educator, designer and tree nurseryman.
He has 12 years’ experience teaching adults and is formally trained in Holistic Management and Regenerative Agriculture Design.
On a mission to create regenerative landscapes and farms in the UK and Europe, Niels focuses on agroecological systems that are low maintenance yet productive.
His clients include:
Fosse Tillery Farm,
Devon Wildlife Trust,
High Weald AONB,
Catchment Sensitive Farming,
Soil Association Scotland.
This course is not run by GREAT but is being advertised on behalf of an affiliated provider.